Years ago, when I started taking a deeper look into the different ingredients commonly used in skincare products, my entire perspective shifted.
I discovered that some of the most widely used active ingredients in our body lotions and cosmetics were harmful, toxic, and had the potential to cause long-term illness. Why was nobody talking about this?
Today, I am pleased to notice that there is a major shift in perspective happening in the larger collective and people are starting to ask questions about the things they put into and onto their bodies.
Mojo Magic – All in One Chemical-Free Skincare
It’s standard practice for people to have different products for different areas of their bodies. In many cases, people have a 5 or more-step facial skincare regime which is done twice a day while they use an entirely different product for the rest of their body. The general rule here is that you shouldn’t use your face products on your body or your body products on your face.
Naturally this can become quite costly and, of course, time consuming. I realized that with lifestyles becoming busier and more demanding, things needed to be simplified without compromising on the desired results.
With this, Mojo Magic was born – a single product which can be used from top to toe as a beauty and healing cream. Everything you need in a single tub.
Natural Body Lotion Without Chemicals
My carefully developed product can be used all over the body as a natural body lotion free of all the harmful chemicals found in conventional moisturisers.
Packed with many beneficial ingredients, your skin will be nourished from the inside out, leaving it soft and supple.
Natural Beauty Skincare Products
Mojo Magic cream is designed in a way that makes it safe and effective to use as a facial beauty moisturizer. The carefully selected essential oils work together to penetrate the different layers of the skin, offering hydrating, moisturizing, and protective effects.
Natural Skin Healing Cream
What makes my products so magical is that it can also be used as a healing cream. Mojo Magic has been used to treat, relieve, and heal various inflammatory skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis.
It can also be used to soothe sunburnt skin, itchy bites, shaving rash, and improve cracked heels.
Potent Pain Relief
One of the main reasons I formulated Mojo Magic is because I developed a sensitivity to Arnica, which is commonly used as nature’s pain killer and anti-inflammatory. Committed to steering clear of pharmaceutical alternatives, I decided to create something better than anything the doctor would prescribe.
Today, my cream is used to provide immense relief for painful muscles, ligaments, tendons, and joints. Many individuals have used it to manage acute issues such as tendonitis and stiff muscles after a hike as well as chronic issues such as tennis elbow and arthritis.
Additionally, many reflexologists are using Mojo Magic products during their sessions as it provides a full package of all nature’s most powerful medicines all in one.
This is why I chose to use the word “magic” when naming this incredible formulation – it really works like magic!
Mojo Magic – Natural Skincare Products South Africa
With a lot of love and intention, I came up with the perfect recipe for Mojo Magic. The goal was to create a single, chemical-free product which can be used on your entire body, for a variety of skin conditions.
The results speak for themselves, and it makes me so incredibly happy to see the amazing impact that this product has had on people’s lives.
Visit my products page to find out more about this wonderful natural skincare.
In my previous article, I looked at why traditional cortisone creams are not the best way to treat eczema and other inflammatory skin conditions. I also took a brief look into some of the ingredients in Mojo Magic’s natural skincare products and how they can be hugely beneficial to those who have eczema.
In this article, I will take a look at the rest of the ingredients in my products, which will explain why I chose them for this special formulation, and why Mojo Magic products have been so successful in treating eczema.
Mojo Magic – Natural Skincare Products for Eczema
Organic Baobab Oil
The star of the show and one of the two main active ingredients (the other being MSM) in our formulation, organic Baobab offers incredible benefits for skin in general, as well as for inflammatory skin conditions like eczema.
Extracted from the seed of the Baobab tree, this oil can be used to cook with, for hair treatment as well as for skincare.
This magical oil is extremely rich in omega-3 fatty acids as well as other fats which include:
- Linoleic acid
- Linolenic acid
- Oleic acid
- Palmitic acid
Because Baobab oil is so rich in omega-3 oils, it is one of the most effective ingredients in natural skincare, especially for eczema. It offers the following benefits:
- Prevents loss of water from the skin – this is extremely important for eczema as it is often characterized by dry, flaky, and itchy skin. Natural moisture in the skin is crucial for the prevention of eczema
- Helps to repair the skin’s barrier – when the skin’s barrier is compromised, it becomes vulnerable to infection. Eczema is also characterized by skin which has been damaged due to excess scratching, inflammation, and prolonged use of cortisone cream. Therefore, this property of Baobab oil is highly valuable in the treatment and prevention of eczema
- Helps to heal the skin faster – particularly useful in eczema as it speeds up the healing process, protecting the skin from infection
- Reduces inflammation – eczema is an inflammatory skin condition which requires a reduction in inflammation for successful treatment
- Moisturizes the skin – eczema is known to produce dry patches on the skin. Baobab oil can help with providing much needed moisture to affected areas
- Antibacterial – Baobab oil contains a natural chemical which makes it a potent anti-bacterial remedy. This is a crucial component for the treatment of eczema and to prevent infection. In many cases, eczema can be weepy, and the skin can be broken, making the patient prone to infection
Chamomile is most commonly used as a tea and is known to provide soothing and calming effects. For the same reason, it offers great benefits for the treatment of eczema:
- Soothes red and inflamed skin – two of the most prominent symptoms of eczema is redness and inflammation. Chamomile is known anti-inflammatory which makes it a useful ingredient in our special formulation
- Antiseptic – chamomile offers mild anti-septic properties which make it useful in the treatment of eczema and the prevention of infection that often happens in more severe cases
- Moisturizes – another soothing property offered by chamomile which is essential for the treatment and management of eczema
Rose Geranium Oil
Rose Geranium belongs to the geranium family which is native to South Africa and has been used for centuries to treat a variety of ailments ranging from skin conditions to respiratory ailments.
This gorgeously scented oil offers the skin some important benefits:
- Balances the skin’s natural oil production – this helps ensure the skin stays moisturized. As we know, moisture is absolutely crucial for the treatment and management of eczema
- Anti-bacterial – rose geranium reduces the risk of infection by fighting of bacteria
- Soothes irritated skin – this beautiful oil has amazing soothing properties which can help during serious eczema flare-ups
Lavender is known as the poster child for essential oils – everyone knows about it and almost everyone loves it. It is beneficial for many reasons, but here are the benefits that it provides the skin:
- Anti-microbial – lavender oil has shown to successfully tackle certain bacteria which have been linked to causing and aggravating eczema
- Heals wounds – particularly useful for the more severe cases of eczema where there is weeping and damaged skin
- Helps to regulate skin’s moisture levels – the skin needs oil to stay moisturized and well moisturized skin may minimize the symptoms of eczema
Organic Tea Tree Oil
Another popular essential oil which is often underestimated for its valuable medicinal properties, tea tree oil is an invaluable addition to Mojo Magic’s formulation.
- Reduces inflammation – extremely important for eczema as it can become quite inflamed during flare ups
- Heals wounds – tea tree oil can speed up the healing process, making people with eczema less prone to infection
- Antihistamine – eczema is often an allergic response to a stimuli. Tea tree oil has shown to reduce the allergic response to external irritants
- Antimicrobial – a potent antimicrobial which fights off fungi and bacteria, tea tree oil protects the skin from infection
- Itch relief – eczema is characterized by extreme itchiness. Tea tree oil provides significant itch relief, making it an important ingredient in our natural skincare products
I always make sure that the amount of tea tree oil in my products is safe, ensuring protection from systemic reactions.
Mojo Magic – Natural Remedies for Eczema
I have put immense thought, care, and love into our formulation to ensure that it is not only safe to use long-term but also highly effective for the treatment of eczema and other inflammatory skin conditions.
Mojo Magic products are versatile and can also be used as a daily moisturizer, suitable for the face and body.
Please visit my products page to find out more about Mojo Magic skincare and feel free to contact me for more information.
The common question that is asked is what is the difference between natural skincare for eczema and the traditional cortisone treatment?
Topical steroid creams are the most commonly prescribed treatment for eczema and other inflammatory skin conditions. However, it is definitely not the best eczema treatment available to us. In fact, it may be causing more harm than good.
In this article, we will talk about topical steroid creams and their side effects so that we can understand what we are putting onto our skin. We will also take a closer look at some of the ingredients found in our natural skincare products and explain their benefits for eczema.
What is Hydrocortisone Cream Used for?
Hydrocortisone is a type of topical steroid cream and is easily the most widely used topical treatment for eczema and other inflammatory skin conditions. However, hydrocortisone is not the only type of steroid cream available.
There are many different types of steroid creams on the market, all varying in potency and ranging from mild to very potent.
The potency of the cream prescribed by your doctor will depend on the severity of your skin condition. The more potent the cream, the more effective it will be in reducing inflammation and, unfortunately, the more extreme the side-effects will be with prolonged use.
It’s important to note that the side-effects experienced are the same across the board with all topical steroid creams, it is just the severity of the symptoms that will vary.
Additionally, although they are called steroids, these creams are nothing like the illicit steroids used for body building and other sporting activities.
Also known as corticosteroids, this treatment can come in the form of creams, ointments, and lotions.
Corticosteroids are extremely effective in treating eczema flare ups as it helps to dramatically reduce the inflammation associated with the skin condition. However, steroid creams are only effective for symptomatic relief and by no means offers a long-term cure or solution to this chronic skin condition.
Instead – if you really feel that this is the route you want to take – cortisone creams should be used for only a few consecutive days to bring the flare up under control and a safer, more natural alternative should be used as maintenance.
Hydrocortisone Side Effects
Long-term use of steroid creams, regardless of their potency, can cause the following side effects:
- Thinning of the skin which makes the affected areas of the skin more vulnerable to damage
- Changes in skin colour in that it can cause hyperpigmentation, especially when the areas of the skin which are being treated with the steroid cream are exposed to the sun
- Exacerbating or spreading of an existing skin infection
- Excessive hair growth in areas of treated skin
- Contact dermatitis due to an allergic response to ingredients in the cream (mostly to preservatives)
- Acne or exacerbating existing acne
- Folliculitis (inflamed hair follicles)
- Stretch marks due to the thinning of the skin
When potent or very potent steroids are used over a large area of skin or for prolonged periods of time, there is risk of the active ingredients being absorbed into the blood stream (known as systemic absorption) and this can cause systemic side effects.
Cortisone creams are known to mask symptoms of infected skin which means that you may not be aware that you have an underlying infection. As a result, the infection can spread to other parts of the body before you have a chance to treat it.
Natural Skincare for Eczema – How to Treat Eczema Naturally
Although steroid creams can be used to treat flare ups of inflammatory skin conditions like eczema, treatment should never exceed 10-14 consecutive days.
Instead, a natural alternative should be used as maintenance. Mojo Magic products contain several natural ingredients which are safe for long-term use.
Below are just some of the ingredients in our products which are particularly beneficial for eczema.
The jojoba plant grows in harsh, desert climates and produces a wholesome nut which offers many healing properties.
Jojoba oil is extracted from the nut and can be used on its own or as a carrier oil for other essential oils.
Benefits of jojoba oil for the skin:
- Antibacterial – this is particularly useful in inflammatory skin conditions which tend to be weepy and prone to infection
- Moisturizing – eczema is often characterized by dry, flaky skin. Jojoba oil works to seal the skin with a protective layer which prevents moisture loss
- Antioxidant – it contains natural forms of vitamin E which is a potent antioxidant and can help keep the skin safe from environmental stressors such as pollutants and other harmful toxins
- Hypoallergenic – unlike many other botanical oils, jojoba oil is typically non-irritating which is crucial for skin which is prone to allergic reactions
- Speeds up wound healing – preliminary research has shown that jojoba oil has the potential to speed up wound healing by encouraging the skin cells to bind together
Beeswax is literally the wax that comes from bees. It is what the worker bees make and use to store the colony’s honey.
This incredible substance is known to have antibacterial properties and has been used for centuries to treat general skin ailments, wounds, burns, and chronic skin conditions.
Beeswax can offer the following benefits for the skin:
- Protection against environmental factors – important for people who have sensitive skin which is prone to allergic reactions from external stressors or pollutants
- Hydration – as mentioned before, hydration plays a key role in the treatment of eczema which commonly presents as dry and flaky
- Provides relief for itching skin – thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties, beeswax provides significant relief for itching skin
- Heals and restores – with exceptional healing properties, beeswax can help heal skin that has been damaged and compromised by the symptoms of eczema
Methylsulfonylmethane which is commonly known as MSM, is a naturally occurring compound which is found in plants and is widely used for inflammatory conditions and to boost the immune system.
MSM offers the following benefits for people with eczema:
- Anti-inflammatory – as we know, eczema is an inflammatory skin condition, characterized by redness, itchiness, dryness, and flakiness. MSM can reduce the body’s inflammatory response which is often exaggerated in people with eczema
- Strengthens keratin – keratin is the protein that acts as the main structural component of your skin, nails, and hair. MSM can stimulate keratin production, thereby improving the integrity of the skin
At Mojo Magic, we make sure to source and use only the highest quality, plant derived, organic MSM.
Mojo Magic – Natural Skincare for Eczema
At Mojo Magic we believe that nature provides us with everything we need to treat ailments. Therefore, we made it our mission to come up with a combination of ingredients that not only treat eczema and other skin conditions, but helps the skin heal too.
We also endeavour to source and use only the highest quality ingredients and essential oils in our products, making them effective natural skincare for eczema.
In our next article, we will be looking at the 5 magic oils that can be found in our products and discussing their benefits.
What is Eczema?
Although many people believe it is a stand-alone condition, eczema is actually a term that is used to describe a group of inflammatory skin conditions that produce rash-like symptoms on the surface of the skin. There are conventional methods to treat eczema, as well as alternative methods which make use of natural skincare products and lifestyle changes.
There are many different causes of eczema and to treat it successfully, we need to understand these causes as well as what can exacerbate symptoms.
Atopic Dermatitis vs. Eczema
The correct term for chronic eczema is atopic dermatitis. Atopic means there is a genetic disposition toward allergic reactions and hypersensitivity while dermatitis means inflammation of the skin.
Atopic dermatitis is characterized by inflamed skin which may be flaky, itchy, often cracks open, and weeps when scratched.
It is quite common for atopic dermatitis to go through stages of remission where the condition is under control. However, flare ups are equally common and can be severe and relatively debilitating.
People with atopic dermatitis often find it difficult to avoid scratching, especially during flare ups because of the extreme itchiness that comes with it.
What Causes Eczema?
Eczema is a result of the skin barrier being compromised, making it more sensitive and vulnerable to irritants and allergens (any substance that causes an allergic reaction). In addition, a compromised skin barrier is unable to effectively retain moisture, which contributes to the dryness and flakiness of the skin in people with eczema.
Although eczema is not considered an autoimmune disorder, symptoms of this condition are often considered a result of an immune system dysfunction or overreaction. In other words, people with eczema will experience a hyper-response to allergens, which results in red, inflamed, itchy patches on the skin.
Furthermore, certain environmental factors can contribute to the triggering or exacerbation of eczema.
Lastly, emotional triggers such as stress and anxiety can also play a huge role in atopic dermatitis.
Below is a list of potential allergens, triggers and other contributors to eczema:
- Fragranced body lotion and/or soap
- Body lotions and soaps with synthetic colouring
- Fabric softeners and detergents
- Bubble bath liquids
- Pet dander
- Dust mites
- Air pollution
- Synthetic fabrics
- Allergenic foods such as dairy, nuts, soy, and eggs
- Skincare products that contain sulfates and other harmful chemicals
- Cleaning detergents and chemicals
- Dry or hot climates
- Environments with high or low humidity (individual dependent)
- Stress and anxiety
- Excess consumption of sugar
Other Common Types of Eczema
As mentioned before, the term eczema refers to several inflammatory skin conditions which exist separately to atopic dermatitis (chronic eczema).
Contact Eczema or Contact Dermatitis
This is an allergic or inflammatory response to an external irritant that the skin has come into contact with.
Common causes of contact eczema are:
- Fabric softeners
- Cleaning detergents or chemicals
- Synthetic fabrics
- Body lotions, perfumes, or soaps
Symptoms of contact eczema include:
- Itchy bumps may appear on your skin
- Fluid-filled blisters may form, ooze and form crusts
- Over time the skin may become thickened and leathery
More common in women than in men, dyshidrotic eczema causes small blisters to form on the hands and feet.
Causes of dyshidrotic eczema include:
- Frequently damp hands and feet
Symptoms of dyshidrotic eczema include:
- Fluid-filled blisters on the toes, soles of the feet, fingers, and palms of the hands
- The blisters may be itchy or painful
- The skin in these areas can flake or crack
As the name suggests, this eczema presents on the hands only and is common in people who work with chemicals on a daily basis such as hairdressers or those providing cleaning services.
Causes of hand eczema include:
- Hairdressing services
- Cleaning services
- Laundry or dry-cleaning services
- Healthcare services
Symptoms of hand eczema include:
- The hands get itchy, dry, and red
- Inflamed patches might crack or become blistery
This type of eczema is similar to atopic dermatitis and causes thick, scaly patches of inflamed skin to appear on the surface of the skin.
Causes of neurodermatitis:
This type of eczema usually appears in people who already have psoriasis or other types of eczema. Although it is unclear what causes neurodermatitis,
Symptoms of neurodermatitis include:
- Thick, scaly patches which form on the legs, arms, back of the neck, soles of the feet, scalp, and back of the hands
- Patches are usually extremely itchy
- When scratched, patches can bleed and get infected
Traditional Treatment for Eczema vs. Natural Skincare Products for Eczema
The most common treatment for eczema prescribed by doctors includes oral and topical steroids (cortisone) as well as oral antihistamines (tablets to reduce the body’s response to allergens).
Although effective for flare ups, cortisone is known to suppress symptoms which often creates the illusion that the eczema is disappearing. In addition to this, cortisone creams can also mask infection, causing more risk for further damage to be done to the affected tissue.
It’s important to note that there isn’t one single cure for eczema as it’s often difficult to establish the exact cause. However, through a process of elimination, we can try and remove or at least minimize exposure to the triggers and irritants that cause flare ups.
Additionally, using natural skincare products to treat eczema provides a safe alternative which offers effective and long-term relief without the use of harmful chemicals and symptom suppressants.
Mojo Magic – Natural Eczema Treatment Cream
Mojo Magic skincare is made from safe, natural ingredients free from harmful chemicals which can often worsen the symptoms of eczema.
In our next article, we will take a look at the different ingredients in conventional creams used to treat eczema and compare them to the soothing, nourishing ingredients found in our products and how they offer relief.
To find out more about our natural skincare products, please feel free to contact us, or visit our online store to make your purchase.
Remember the saying, “The whole is greater than the sum of its parts”? This is particularly true of Mojo Magic cream. Sure, the ingredients each have their uses and their value, but it’s the combination of the ingredients and the processes used in the making that creates something that is truly quite magical. There have been times over the years when I’ve doubted this, so I’ve used just one or two of the ingredients to heal a particular ailment, but nothing works as effectively as the cream does. This has led me to believe that the magic truly does lie in the combination.
When I was first advised to have a blog page on my website, my first thoughts were, “OMW! What on earth am I going to write in a blog about a product, and who would want to read it?” After the initial shock and resistance, I started warming to the idea and seeing the sense in it… I can’t write my own testimonials – I could, but that wouldn’t be very ethical – but I have so many stories about Mojo Magic to tell. After all, I’ve been making the cream for over 7 years, and the testimonials on the site are just some of the stories from happy customers who have taken the trouble to write them down and send them to me. Mmm… a platform to tell all the stories I have about all 3 products… actually a brilliant idea 🙂